Mission, vision and values
ACAD is a leading centre for education and research, and a catalyst for creative inquiry and cultural development. We engage the world and create possibilities.
Cultivating a community of imaginative, critical creators who enrich our understanding of ourselves and the world around us.
The Alberta College of Art + Design, located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is a public, board-governed college operating as a Specialized Arts and Culture Institution under the authority of the Post-secondary Learning Act of Alberta. As the only post secondary institution in the prairie provinces devoted exclusively to advanced education, practice, and research in visual culture, design, and associated and emergent fields, the Alberta College of Art + Design offers four-year undergraduate degrees and graduate degrees, preparing learners for careers in visual culture and design.
The College is a centre of excellence in education and research in fine arts, crafts, design, media arts + digital technologies, and related liberal studies, and supports lifelong learning through its credit and non-credit continuing education programming. The College is committed to the principles outlined in the framework of Campus Alberta which calls for an approach to advanced learning in Alberta that is responsive, innovative, high-quality, accessible, and focused on meeting the needs of the learner.
Acting as a local, provincial, national, and international visual culture resource and through research, the College is a producer of original knowledge leading to cultural development. Its public activities are designed to enhance the general awareness of the College and advance knowledge and understanding of the importance of visual culture and design to the economic, cultural, and social life of the communities and society that it serves.
Approved by the Deputy Premier and Minister of Advanced Education and Technology, October 6, 2010.
To transform art & design education that transcends traditional boundaries and influences culture in Alberta and beyond.
- We embrace diversity and inclusivity in culture, identity and perspective; we are open, approachable and welcoming
- We pursue excellence in our practices, and in our support for our learners, faculty, staff, and external partners
- We are deeply committed to experimentation, free enquiry, and research.
- We build relationships based on trust; we are committed to one another’s success and wellness.
- We foster independence and accountability; we value transparency and expect ethical behaviour.
- We are thoughtful agile risk takers; we believe in a celebration of our creative process.