Borrowing + requesting
Find information about borrowing library materials, acquisition requests + recommendations and inter-library loans.
Browse Library Catalogue
The Library has a wide range of resources for all your research needs.Library catalogue
Answers to common questions about borrowing, holds, renewals and fines.
ACAD students (part, full and con-ed), faculty, and staff, members of the The Alberta Library (TAL), and the general public can access the library. Each group has different membership requirements, privileges, and borrowing times.
ACAD students, faculty, and staff
- Present a valid ACAD ID card
The Alberta Library (TAL) Users
- Present a valid TAL card (register for a TAL card)
- TAL cardholders may access E-resources on campus, but do NOT have remote access
Community Users (non-TAL)
- Present photo ID with current address information to register for Community User Card
- Pay a yearly fee of $25
- Community Users may access E-resources on campus but do NOT have remote access
The Luke Lindoe Library has several types of collections, with different rules for access and borrowing:
- General circulation (three weeks).
- Closed reserves (two hours). Closed reserves resources include high-demand items as well as materials faculty have set aside to ensure access for all students. Up to two items may be borrowed at a time, for use in the library, for two hours at a time.
- Archive materials (two hours). One item at a time, for use in the library only.
- Videos (overnight)
ACAD faculty, students, and staff
25 items at any one time
TAL members and the general public
5 items at any one time
ACAD students, faculty and staff
- Two renewals.
- After the initial 3 week loan period, items which have holds put on by other borrowers must be returned.
TAL and Community Users
Three-week loan period, no renewals
All library members can place holds by contacting email@example.com, calling 403.284.7667, or visiting the library in person. If you're an ACAD student, faculty, or staff member, you can also place a hold online via the library catalogue.
Only ACAD students, faculty and staff may renew library resources.
Once an item is overdue, it CANNOT be renewed online. Users must contact the library directly to renew overdue items. Items put on hold by other library users also CANNOT be renewed.
Library resources can be renewed:
- On the Library Catalogue under 'My Library Account' (you'll need your library ID and PIN)
- By email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- By telephone at 403.284.7667
- In person
Pay fines in person at library front desk.
Fines accrue at the following rates:
- General circulation print items at $1/day
- Videos at $5.00/day
- Closed reserves at $1/hour
- Lost items accrue a $15 service charge plus the replacement cost of the item and outstanding fines
The following are NOT acceptable reasons for appealing a fine:
- Not receiving a courtesy or overdue notice
- Inability to renew online
- Inability to return borrowed items because library user was out of town
- Lack of awareness of library policies