Calgary Dust Up
PRESENTED AS PART OF THE CIFF Industry Series
WHEN: Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 9 a.m.
WHERE: Stanford Perrott Lecture Theatre (ACAD - 1407 14 Ave N.W.)
AMPIA’s 1st Annual Southern Alberta Profession Development Day, the Calgary Dust Up will take place at the Alberta College of Art & Design on Saturday, October 3, 2015.
Presented as part of the Calgary International Film Festival’s Industry Series, this straight-shooting workshop for professional and aspiring filmmakers, animators and digital content creators.
This workshop is FREE for ACAD Students, CIFF Industry Pass Holders and AMPIA Members.
9 - 9:15 a.m. - WELCOME
- Welcome from Dr. Daniel Doz, President + CEO, Alberta College of Art + Design
- Welcome from AMPIA & CIFF – Bill Evans AMPIA & Taylor Ross, CIFF Industry
- Welcome from Alberta Culture (TBD)
9:15 - 10 a.m. - MICRO BUDGET FEATURES
MODERATOR: Amy Darling (AMPIA)
Award-winning producer Amy Darling will moderate this session about the perils, pitfalls and potential rewards of low-budget indie feature film production!
- PANELLISTS: Nicola Waugh (CSIF)
- Grant Harvey (A Christmas Horror Story)
- Dylan Pearce (40 Below & Falling)
- Pavan Moondi and Brian Roberston (Diamond Tongues)
10 – 10:45 a.m. - INDUSTRY UPDATES PART I
MODERATOR: Joe Novak
- GUESTS: Brandice Vivier Bell/CTV,
- Jonas Oost, Telus Optik
- Laura Friesen, National Screen Institute - Canada
10:45 -11 a.m. - COFFEE + NETWORKING BREAK
11 – 11:30 a.m. - INDUSTRY UPDATES PART II
Unions & Guilds
- GUESTS: Tina Alford (ACTRA)
- DGC (TBC)
11:30 – 11:45 a.m. SPOTLIGHT ON IMAX
Presenter: Dylan Reade
Dylan Reade is a cameraman and stereographer who has worked on 50 Imax films. Born and raised in Edmonton, Dylan has filmed all over the world. Learn how to tell stories on the world’s biggest screen!
11:45 – 12:15 INDUSTRY UPDATES PART III
- GUESTS: Marc Sholes (ACAD)
- Zac Hogle (NAIT)
- Philip Letourneau (SAIT)
- James Wilson (RDC)
- George Gallant (Lethbridge)
12:15 – 1:30 p.m. - LUNCH
(various facilities are available at nearby SAIT campus accessible via pedway)
1:30 – 2:15 p.m. - INDUSTRY UPDATES PART IV
Funding & Infrastructure Update
- GUESTS: Kim Evans (Alberta Media Fund)
- David Christensen (National Film Board)
- Luke Azevedo (Calgary Film Commissioner)
- Greg Jeffs (William F. White)
2:15 – 3 p.m. - SPOTLIGHT ON ANIMATION
Gain valuable insights into the world of animation with this overview of three new projects from Calgary animators:
MODERATOR: Marc Scholes (ACAD)
- PANELLISTS: Kevin Kurytnik & Carol Beecher (“Skin for Skin”)
- Cam Christianson (“The Wall”)
- Colin Curwen (”The Prophet”)
3 - 3:15 p.m. - COFFEE + NETWORKING BREAK
3:15 - 3:45 p.m. - NEW NARRATIVES
GUEST SPEAKER: David Christensen, NFB
A discussion and demonstration of new interactive platforms that are emerging, and how to construct or adapt narrative strategies to fully exploit these new possibilities of storytelling. Examples to be discussed include: ‘Seances’, the new interactive companion piece to Guy Maddin’s feature film ‘Forbidden Room’ (screening at CIFF) and ‘Invisible World’ a new interactive project from the NFB.
3:45 - 4:30 p.m. - POST PRODUCTION
MODERATOR: Mike Shields – Gemini winning and Genie nominated Composer
Your footage is “in the can” (or your image data is all on your hard drive), and you’ve recovered from a gruelling shoot. Now what? How do you bring it all together? What does it sound like? How do you make the images you captured even more beautiful - or burn down that building you needed to burn down but didn’t have the budget? How do you get your audience to feel what you need them to feel? Hear from some of Alberta’s top post-production professionals on how to bring more value to your project. Learn what to do – and what not to do, before you dive into the deep end of the post-production pool.
- PANELLISTS:Jeff August - Colour Correction, Emmy Award - winning editor, Jump Studios
- Susan de St. Jorre - Visual Effects, APPA (Alberta Post Production Association)
- Ken Filewych - Editor on ‘Heartland’, and features ‘Rufus’ & ‘Walk All Over Me’
- Frank Laratta - Emmy Award-nominated Sound Supervisor on ‘Hell On Wheels’ & ‘Fargo’
4:30 p.m. - CLOSING REMARKS