Student academic advising
Get help choosing the right program, find educational resources, and develop a plan to achieve your academic goals.
ACAD's STUDENT ACADEMIC ADVISOR is here to assist you:
- Clarify your academic goals
- Help you define student success
- Understand the value of earning your accredited Bachelor degree credential
- Navigate the Academic Calendar program requirements
- Review your rights and expectations of conduct policies and procedures
- Select a program of study major and/or minor
- Consider the best course choices for your program
- Evaluate the benefits and consequences of adding or dropping a course
- Learn about student exchange and travel study programs
- Check into options to enroll in independent off campus study
- Get referrals to resources such as tutoring and personal counselling
- Plot your immediate and long-term academic plans
- Calculate your unofficial GPA and learn why it is an important tool in tracking your academic success
- Learn what is involved in submitting an official grade appeal.
How to access student academic advising
Let's meet! ACAD's Student Academic Advisor is available weekdays. Please schedule an appointment or stop by the office from1:00-2:00 for daily drop in advising (no appointment necessary for brief meetings on a first-come, first-served basis). Due to privacy protection, and the nature of advisory discussions that lead to deeper questions, ACAD does not provide advising consultations over email or telephone.
Book an appointment with your student academic advisor
Let's meet once a year, or more! You are welcome to book appointments as often you need by the following methods:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and write ADVISING APPOINTMENT in the subject line. Provide a couple dates/times and you will receive a confirmation of meeting time. Appointments are generally 20 minutes. Please note: If you are emailing during the start of each term there may be delays in responding to your email.
- In person: Stop by the Knowledge Center in the main mall or Registrar's Office where staff can access the electronic Advising calendar to set up your appointment.
- Telephone 403-338-5598 or 403-284-7634 and be prepared to offer two appointment times/date options and also provide a phone number if we need to reach you.
What to bring to your advisory appointment
Come to your appointment prepared with your question(s) so we can jump right into meaningful discussion about your academic experience and expectations for success.
Important links for academic success
- Academic Calendar All current ACAD students are expected to be knowledgeable about the academic regulations, policies, and information outlined in the Academic Calendar.
- Research Ethics Board All current ACAD students who wish to involve the participation of humans, dead or live animals, biological materials will first need to discuss their goals with their instructor. All ACAD faculty have been trained in Research Ethics and will determine whether the concepts and materials of the student's project meet the instructor's academic learning outcomes. The student will then be required to submit a proposal for Research Ethics approval. Please note that the Research Ethics Board meets once a month and will work with students if revisions are required. All proposals submitted have been successful.
- Policies and Procedures All current ACAD students, faculty, and staff are required to abide ACAD policies and procedures regarding conduct and intellectual propriety. Ignorance of the policies and procedures is not a viable excuse. Learn more about academic and non-academic codes of conduct, academic and artistic freedom, grade appeals, freedom of information and protection of privacy act, respectful workplace, health and safety regulations, and more.