When do applications open?
There is one intake per year, with a Fall (September) start, each year. The application date closes on January 15 of each year. We may offer opportunities for late applicants depending on space availability once the initial January 15 deadline has passed.
What is unique about the ACAD MFA program?
ACAD’s MFA in Craft Media facilitates high-level creative studio-based inquiry in the context of emerging craft discourse. Participants have an immersive experience in which they can experiment with materials, engage with new ideas and methods to discover what's possible through intensive practice and ongoing dialogue. The program offers one-to-one mentoring and small class sizes with exceptional faculty who are master practitioners and respected scholars from programs across the College.
Who is the ideal student for the MFA in Craft Media?
We're seeking the best students, both domestically and internationally, who are ready to undertake a rigorous program of study. Admission to the MFA program is competitive, and is based on academic standing and the demonstration of an active studio practice and exhibition record. Please contact the Office of Research + Graduate Studies to inquire, or to be connected with a faculty member for more indepth inquiries regarding your suitability for the program.
What facilties will I have access too?
ACAD’s purpose built world-class ceramics, fibre, glass and jewelry and metal studios are augmented by leading-edge media arts facilities.
Our studio environments are supported by dedicated studio technicians in all disciplines.
- Multiple kiln technologies, including computerized electric kilns, forced-air kilns, soda kilns and others for use with experimental processes
- Dedicated rooms for plaster, clay mixing and glazing including a Soldner mixer
- Venco pug mill, large ball mill and larger immersion mixers
- Full colour ceramic decal printer
- Silk-screen printing studio with seven large printing tables with four-yard capacity each
- Natural dyes in a designated dye studio with induction ranges and two indigo vats
- Hand and computer-assisted weaving with 38 looms, including an AVL Jacquard and 16-harness AVL Dobby loom
- A hollander hydropulper for paper making
- Book arts (including book binding, box making, and others)
- Mixed-media studios
- Four Glory Holes with 12" and 20" diameters
- Two 300-pound glass furnaces
- Six annealers with programmable controllers
- Seven kilns with GB 1 controllers, offering a range of possibilities for both warm glass and casting processes
- A full range of cold working equipment including three state of the art cutting lathes, NSK engraving stations and two Suhner water-fed hand grinders
- Laser welder PUK ll fusion welder
- Aluminum anodizing system and reactive metals anodizing
- Casting facilities: centrifugal, vacuum and sand
- Makerbots access with Roland wax carver for digital production
- Full gemology equipment and instruments
- Enameling and PMC programmable kilns
- Small object photography system
- An extensive teaching collection showcasing the work of distinguished visiting artists, faculty and alumni
What is it like to live in Calgary?
Calgary offers the best of all worlds: a vibrant, cosmopolitan urban centre, a safe and friendly atmosphere, and outstanding potential for adventure in the natural beauty of the nearby Canadian Rockies. Culturally and artistically diverse, this sunny city boasts countless festivals ranging from the well-established to the many new and growing influences in art, theatre and music. As home to one of the three major art centres in Canada, Calgary’s Arts Commons showcases local, national, and international artists and is part of the dynamic and growing arts district in Calgary’s downtown core. And if you need a little room to explore, Calgary’s 300 kms of urban pathways and ample green space give you lots freedom to bike, hike, rollerblade or simply wander.
The Office of Research + Graduate Studies is happy to help answer questions regarding the colleges resources, feel free to email us at email@example.com with any questions!