Call for Faculty Proposals: ACAD + ATB Exhibition at Stephen Ave ArtVault
ACAD is extremely excited to continue its partnership with ATB Financial in curating their ArtVault gallery space at the Stephen Avenue Centre branch in Calgary (102 – 8 Avenue SW). Since its launch in June 2016, work from emerging alumni and current students from a wide range of disciplines has been featured over 4 exhibitions and this October will mark the 5th exhibition of the series. The theme for this exhibition is mental health and will involve a call for submissions, open to all ACAD alumni and current students.
The ACAD + ATB ArtVault partnership will continue through 2019. Three exhibitions are planned for each year and ACAD would like to invite all faculty (both permanent and sessional) to submit to this open call for proposals for future ATB ArtVault Gallery exhibitions. Submissions are open to all mediums and programs and cross-discipline collaborations are encouraged.
Past themes have been centered around ATB’s Corporate Social Responsibility and strategic marketing campaigns, but there is also potential for faculty proposals to inform the future direction of the exhibitions.
Previous exhibition themes have included:
- Shift (June 2016) – The inaugural exhibition of Art Vault, an open call, featuring ATB’s new transformational banking model and showcasing work from 4 recent graduates
- Hear Tell (October 2016) – In conjunction with the ATB Listens campaign, an open call featuring work from 8 recent graduates
- Statement (February 2017) – In partnership with ATB Investor Services, 80+ second year students in the School of Communications Design transformed old statement paper to create sculptural designs
- True Colors (June 2017) – In celebration of Calgary Pride, an open call for submissions highlighted the work of 9 recent graduates and 2 current students
- In the Balance (October 2017) - In support of mental health awareness, an open call for submissions that featured the work of 8 alumni and 3 current students
- Intertwined (February 2018) - 9 students from a 200-level Fibre Surface Design class created pieces surrounding the interpretation of an Alberta theme
Benefits of the project:
- Students gain real world experience of working with a client in mind and a specific audience for their work. Participating students are also invited to attend an opening networking reception at the branch
- An honorarium of $3500 will be directed to the selected participating program/School to support programming
- ACAD has the opportunity to showcase the work of its current students, with a long term vision of demonstrating the value of art, craft and design education to our external community
- The space is located downtown Calgary, is publically accessible and caters to a corporate clientele
- The space can accommodate between 12-15 wall pieces and the floors and ceilings can accommodate work within certain weight and height restrictions. The minimum amount of pieces required for an exhibition is 12 (full installation site parameters outlined below)
- The selected participating class must be willing to work with ATB in aligning their vision
- Installations occur in February, June and October each year and remain on display for 4 months
As a further extension, ATB card services currently has a supply of 80,000 branded debit cards that they are looking to donate and are hoping could be used as material for a project such as this. In February of 2017, the School of Communication Design took on a similar challenge, whereby ATB Investor Services donated thousands of unusable sheets of statement paper as the medium for the project.
Faculty from all Schools of the College (including School of Continuing Education + Professional Development) are invited to submit proposals for consideration until October 1st, 2017 for the first available installation time slot in February 2018. Proposals will be accepted on an ongoing basis beyond that date.
Please send proposal submissions or further inquiries to Lindsay Paul in ACAD’s Engagement Office (Manager, Corporate + Foundation Relations) at 403.284.7678 or Lindsay.Paul@acad.ca
Proposals must include:
- ACAD School, class and the name of the project lead (collaborations welcome)
- Anticipated number of ACAD students and classes involved
- A brief summary, overview, or vision of the proposed project, including intended mediums
- A statement of interest & how this initiative will enhance the student experience
The following installation sites are available:
- Two, 34(w)x100(h)” walls
- Two, 80(w)x70(h)” walls
- One, 48(w)x45(h)” wall
- One, 58(w)x60(h)” wall
- One, 50(w)x40(h)” wall
- Three, 30” cubed, locking-case plinths
- Two, 28” cubed, locking-case plinths
- 3-5 spaces available for free standing sculpture (max. 3’ floor area)
- Ceiling hangings (2-3) can be accommodated, provided they are under 5 lbs