Reality is Wrong, Dreams Are For Real
INSPIRING STORIES OF ACAD ALUMNI MAKING THEIR DREAMS COME TRUE PROVE CREATIVITY MATTERS
April 15, 2015
The sudden snow couldn’t freeze out the heart in the Stanford Perrott Lecture Theatre on Tuesday night. A proud group of ACAD faculty, alumni, alumni family members, staff and community partners were on hand to celebrate the heart of ACAD; our Alumni.
Award winners and featured alumni panelists shared why creativity matters to them. Natalie Lauchlan (B.F.A. 2014), ACAD Alumni Horizon Award & TD Insurance Meloche Monnex Career Award for Alumni, captured the crowd’s heart by sharing her journey since graduating from ACAD “Your career doesn’t end at ACAD… I’ve been inspired in ways I never imagined through the students I work with.” Lauchlan is an Artist in Residence with the Calgary Board of Education.
When asked about how he found success as artists after school, Joey Camacho (B.Des. 2010), ACAD Alumni Honour Award & TD Insurance Meloche Monnex Career Award for Alumni, said “You have to show up every single day and put something out there.”
Both Joey and Natalie’s awards came with $500 awards proudly sponsored by TD Insurance Meloche Monnex. For over twelve years. TD Insurance Meloche Monnex has been a proud supporter of ACAD and our alumni affinity program. Through TD Insurance, ACAD alumni are entitled to a variety of special benefits and opportunities to save money on products and services like home and auto insurance.
Allison Hrabluik (B.F.A. 1999) was awarded in in absentia the ACAD Alumni Honour Award & Enbridge Inc. Alumni Professional Development Award
The $5,000 awarded to Allison was generously provided by Enbridge Inc., who plays a major role in supporting arts and culture and many important causes in Calgary and wherever they work. Enbridge has been a friend to ACAD since the late 1990’s, but most recently we entered into a three-year agreement in which Enbridge is the lead sponsor of the Enbridge Emerging Artist and Designer Corporate Art Investor Program. This program consists of three key components:
- The Enbridge ACAD Show Off! An Entrance Scholarship for high school students
- Artwork loan – three times a year several pieces of art will be on display in the Enbridge community reception area.
- Enbridge ACAD Alumni Professional Award – this is a $5000 award to one deserving alumni who will be able to use this towards furthering their professional development and success in the future.
Panelist member Jeff de Boer (Dip. 1988, ACAD Alumni Legacy Award & Board of Governors Alumni Award of Excellence, 2014) was also on hand to share advice about carving out a career as an artist. “Today I have enough experience to share the message with emerging artists that it is possible, hard work, but possible.”
The theme of working hard and making your own dreams came through continued as panelist Amy Gaulin (B.F.A. 2012,, ACAD Alumni Legacy Award, encouraged future students to not be afraid to take the next step “ACAD gives students resources, knowledge & confidence to go out in the world and make change. Volunteer, make connections, the more you learn the further you can go.”
Anthea Black (B.F.A. 2003) was awarded the ACAD Board of Governors Alumni Award of Excellence) in absentia. Anthea will be on hand to accept her award at 2015 convocation.
Congratulations to all of the award recipients:
- Anthea Black (B.F.A. 2003, ACAD Board of Governors Alumni Award of Excellence)
- Joey Camacho (B.Des. 2010, ACAD Alumni Honour Award & TD Insurance Meloche Monnex Career Award for Alumni)
- Steven Cottingham (B.F.A. 2012, ACAD Alumni Honour Award)
- Amy Gaulin (B.F.A. 2012, ACAD Alumni Legacy Award)
- Allison Hrabluik (B.F.A. 1999, ACAD Alumni Honour Award & Enbridge Inc. Alumni Professional Development Award)
- Natalie Lauchlan (B.F.A. 2014, ACAD Alumni Horizon Award & TD Insurance Meloche Monnex Career Award for Alumni)
- Cassandra Paul (B.F.A. 2010, ACAD Alumni Horizon Award)
- Nate McLeod (B.F.A. 2010, ACAD Alumni Horizon Award)