Visiting Academic Curator Posting: IKG
Do you believe in the power of ideas, possibility, and in building community? The Alberta College of Art + Design (ACAD) is looking for an engaged and innovative Visiting Academic Curator to assist in the future development of the Illingworth Kerr Gallery (IKG).
This new Limited Term position comes at a transformative time for the Illingworth Kerr Gallery (IKG) as ACAD seeks to evolve and extend the role the IKG plays in our institution and in our external communities. The IKG has maintained a public exhibition program of contemporary visual art for nearly 50 years, the longest running such art program in Calgary. The IKG is a significant gallery facility at the heart of ACAD, with two connected galleries measuring a total of 4,000 square feet.
In addition to fulfilling its mandate of fostering a living culture in Alberta by providing a context for viewing and discussing new and recent art in all media and by a wide range of cultural producers, the IKG is an integral part of the student experience at ACAD. To that end, ACAD’s goal is to make the IKG even more inclusive and representative of the variety of programs at the college to help us thrive and support future academic growth.
This evolution provides an exciting opportunity for someone with vision and ingenuity to lead an internal committee tasked with developing the curation, programming and operations of the gallery in new and creative ways.
“The IKG is an essential part of the experience at ACAD, says Alison A. Miyauchi, Associate Vice-President, Research and Academic Affairs. “We are fortunate to have such a space within our walls. This transformative time for the IKG comes at an exciting time for ACAD as we are embarking on a sustainability process to generate ideas and solutions that support our school, our community and our world.”
Some of the things the Visiting Academic Curator will be involved in include:
- Organize exhibitions for the gallery with direct connection to and in collaboration with faculty and students from diverse programs in art, craft + design;
- Work directly with members of ACAD's faculty to include the IKG's temporary exhibitions and permanent collections in their classroom activities;
- In collaboration with the President + CEO, develop a strategy for growing and displaying the collection throughout our facility;
- Create new student internship initiatives, in which students will work at the gallery or with the collection;
- Assist in developing curatorial curriculum, outreach programs and foster community relations;
If you or someone you know would be a great fit, join us at ACAD (where creativity matters)